When designing your home, you are bound to be faced with many decisions that will bring together the overall look and feel of your space. Striking a balance between timeless and trendy design might seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. We have written this blog post to give you some guidelines that can help you navigate the building design process.
Invest in Timeless, Long-lasting Materials
Paint and décor can always and easily be replaced, whereas an outdated kitchen takes a much larger and more expensive effort to remodel.
This makes it very important to invest in high-quality, timeless materials in which you will not plan on replacing for years. Your hardwood, countertop and tile selections are all very important aspects of creating a timeless space.
Selecting classic, neutral materials may seem boring. But it will give you’re the freedom to experiment with more cost-effective home décor trends. Here is our list of home design choices that never go out of style:
- Hardwood floors and other natural wood elements
- White kitchens
- Built-in shelving
- Marble countertops, floors, and tiles
- Stainless steel
- Clean lines
How to: Bring a trendy flare to your timeless space.
Okay, we’ve concluded that timeless design is key, but now we need to figure out how to bring a trendy flare to your home.
Here is our list of practical places to incorporate trendy style:
- Lighting– trendy lighting fixtures do a lot to make a room fell updated. Fortunately, they are typically very simple to replace when you feel like the style has changed. Obviously, your best bet would be trendy floor and table lamps.
- Rugs – a neutral hardwood floor can easily be complimented with a trendy rug.
- Walls– this is a great way to keep your interior fresh and on trend. With wallpaper being all the rage, opt for a more neutral pattern or go trend crazy in a smaller space such as a powder room.
- Décor Accents – we still advise that bigger more expensive pieces such as sofas, bedroom sets, etc. stay neutral in tone and classic in design. Small furniture pieces such as assent chairs, throw pillows, shelving and art can be a great place to reflect your personality.
Do you still have questions about balancing timeless and trendy design?
When building a custom home with Coastal Cypress, we work one-on-one with you to help you create a timeless space you will cherish for many years. We will be able to answer all your questions which will help you strike a balance between modern trends and classic design. With our expertise and your vision, we can make your dream come to life!